Unit 1: Introduction to APES
Topics of Study
Chapter 2 Environmental Systems
- Case Study: Mono Lake - A Lake of Salt Water, Dust Storms, and Endangered Species
- Module 4 Systems and Matter
- Module 5 Energy, Flows, and Feedbacks
- Do the Math How Much Energy Can You Save with a New Refrigerator?
- Do the Math Comparing Fuel Usage
- Do the Math Comparing the Efficiencies of Two Systems
- Working Toward Sustainability Managing Environmental Systems in the Florida Everglades
- Chapter 2 Practice Math and Graphing
- Science Applied 1 Where Is the Missing Salt of Mono Lake?
- Lab 1-2 Introduction to Sensors and Data
- Chapter 2 Quiz
Unit 1 Introduction to Environmental Science Review
Unit 1 Introduction to Environmental Science Exam
- John Francis Walks the Earth
- Alex Steffen Sees A Sustainable Future
- Rachel Carson and Silent Spring
- Garret Hardin and the Tragedy of the Commons
- Dr. James Lovelock & Gaia
- Vanishing Heritage: Protecting the Elephants of Amboseli
- Laboratory Investigation 1-1: What’s your Ecological Footprint? – Students calculate his or her own “ecological footprint” and see how the footprint concept relates to sustainability.
- Laboratory Investigation 1-2: Introduction to Sensors and Data – Using ocean chemistry data compiled from monitoring stations at Ossabaw Island in Georgia, students analyze and interpret relationships between the variables using excel spreadsheets, graphs, and mathematical formulas.